Monday, November 17, 2008

Thankful.3

Today is a hard one. I really don't even have a reason why. I have been impatient and short with my kids and I have just wanted to hide in my room for the day. Sometimes life can feel so overwhelming. It is amazing to me how one day I can feel so good and then the very next day I feel so burdened. It has been a miss Mayson day. I miss him all the time, but somedays it is just so much harder. Usually I can pinpoint a reason why it was a rough day, but today I really can't. O'well.

So, I had a bad mom moment yesterday. Curtis and I had to go do our stake temple recommend interviews and so my parents said they would watch the boys for us. I was on the phone and Curtis had the boys go out and get into their carseats to wait for me. When I got off the phone Curtis and I walked out together and got into the Tahoe. We drove over to my parent's house and when we are walking up to the front door my mom comes running out with her phone in her hand as asks, "aren't you the worst parents ever!" Curtis and I look at each other and are absolutely clueless as to what she is getting at. As I start thinking of what I did wrong (kids are dressed - check, kids have shoes on - check, Bryce is wearing shorts but it is actually quite warm outside - check) then my mom asks us where Cayden is. We assumed he had gotten out with the other two and ran into the house already. Apparently, Cayden found the neighbor's coat in our house and had told Gavyn and Bryce to let us know he would be right back, he was running the coat over to the neighbors. Soon after Curtis and I came out of the house, got into the Tahoe, and drove off. Cayden tried to get into the house and when he couldn't he went back to the neighbor's house to call us. I have never left a child behind anywhere before, but the worst part was that I did not even notice. I was honestly just enjoying the fact that the kids were all being quiet in the back seat. We went back and picked up Cayden, who was laughing about it the whole time, and apologized to the neighbors and to Cayden. Poor kid! Bad parents!

Anyway, here is what I am thankful for today...

Neighbors who will let my child in when I happen to leave him behind.
Cayden who thinks it is a great adventure rather than being upset.
The fact that we only live about five minutes from my parents house.
Having the opportunity of apologizing to my son (I think it is sooo important for my kids to hear me say I am sorry to them!)

Shoot, Gavyn just destroyed the kitchen. I am now off to make him clean it up!

2 comments:

Mrs. B said...

I know this woman who lives to "heck and gone" out on the desert. Seriously, like 25 miles and one Saturday we all took our kids to the matinee. Afterward we all went to McDonalds to get a treat. We hug and say good bye and she leaves---her four year old. This is in the days before cell phones, so she had to go all the way home before we could get in touch with her to come back and get him. Luckily she had wonderful friends and we met her halfway.
There are worse things and at least he knew what to do and where to go, next year, or maybe next week you'll all have a good laugh.
I never knew Mayson and I miss him too.
Love ya!

Jocelyn said...

I guess we're all having a time right now. Good to know.

Just a couple weeks ago Stanton & I came home from ward choir practice, got dinner on for the kids, Stanton played with them while I did dishes and all of a sudden I said, "Stanton, where's Cannon?" He had left him in the van -- for an hour. He was crying so hard when we went to get him. So were we. It happens. It stinks, but it happens.
I'm so glad you're blogging now!