Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Okay, here are the pictures from our trip to Primary Children's and the surgery.

This is Gavyn playing momma's DS at the hotel. He plays it more than I do!

Daddy is trying to get some rest before the big day.



I woke up at about 2:30 a.m. and couldn't sleep, but I looked over at Gavyn and he was sleeping so peacefully I couldn't help but take his picture. Isn't he sweet!


As soon as we got to the hospital they had Gavyn change into the hospital garb. He loved it.


This was right after he got his IV in. His face is spotchy and he is playing with a new toy they gave him to try to distract him. It worked amazingly well!


After the doctor/surgeon comes and consults with parents before the surgeon they write their initials on the kid's heads. I am not sure what the reasoning is to this, but I have a picture of his with it when he was 2 months old for his previous surgery and so I took one of it now too.


This was us in the waiting room during the 2 hour long wait for him to go in. Gavyn was not impressed.....


but we were able to get him asleep and we put him in the wagon so they could easily wheel him back.


Then, the anesthesiologist came and wheeled him away after giving him some good meds.



I couldn't take any pictures when Gavyn first came out of surgery. Partly because he really didn't want me to, but mostly because all I wanted to do was hold him. This was when Aunt Jennifer and Uncle James came. They brought him a toy dart gun and he LOVED it!


This is what the top of Gavyn's head looks like. He has 40+ stitches. I took a picture of it to show him what was on his head. He couldn't figure out why momma was being so paranoid about everything. His reply was, "that's on me? Ohhh."

This is Gavyn with Dr. Brockmeyer. He had just been informed that he could go home. This was one happy little boy.

On the way home Gavyn played with Cayden's leapster. Cayden borrowed it to him to help keep him busy on the long ride home.


Overall, everything went really well and Gavyn is doing great. We are so glad to have this over with and to have our sweet boy back home in his own bed.

13 comments:

Shelby said...

Hi Heidi, this is Shelby from Bunco. I came across your blog and saw the pics of your little boy, so I had to read about it.

My little girl had a craniectomy when she was 2 months old too. Hers was football shaped. She was the third person to have it performed with a laser at Primary Children's. Was Gavin's done with a laser the first time?

It sounds like he's recovering well--I know how stressful that can be!

Heidi said...

Hi Shelby. I miss the bunco parties. There are so many people I don't see because we are not doing them. Anyway, Gavyn did not have laser surgery done. His first surgery left him with a scar from one ear over his head to the other ear in zigzag. This surgery's cuts were on the same scar line as his first surgery, it just didn't go all the way to his ears.

Anyway, it is good to hear from you. What is your blog name and how is your little girl doing?

Shelby said...

My blog is shelbyhascutekids.blogspot.com

Reese is doing great--you would never guess that she had it done!

Heidi said...

Will she be needing anymore surgeries or is she all done?

Lori Ann said...

Hey Heidi!
I found the blog! WOOHOO! I am so glad Gavyn did well with his surgery. Is her going to need anymore? I am praying for his quick healing. :) Tell Cayden Miss Lori says HI!

Unknown said...

Heidi!

Glad to see your little one made it thru surgery OK! I have a Caden and Bryce too. So funny! I am putting a link to your blog from mine if that is OK?

Kim Parkinson-Keele

Katie said...

It is so funny that we know a lot of the same people. The pictures are cute and sad. You are a strong and wonderful women. It would be hard to do what you do. I'm so glad that everything is going good and I'm glad you found my blog. I'll be watching for more pictures.

Jocelyn said...

Hi Heidi. It's Julie. I have a love-hate relationship with Primary Childrens. Seeing those pictures made me ache for you. It's so stressful to be there with your little ones.
Gavyn seems like a pretty great little guy.
Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Heidi I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. I can only imagine how awful it is as a mother to watch your kids struggle. Hannah has a Heart issue that has to clear up by 6 months or she might have surgery. You are all in my prayer and wish you luck!

jennycooks said...

Heidi - sweet Gavyn! He looks like he was so mellow waiting for all the events to unfold. But pictures only capture moments. Are you guys all done with surgeries now?! You have sure had a year...

I just love your cute family. Your kids are always welcome over here too. We love it when they come play!

Mrs. B said...

Thanks for the update. You guys looked so good at the ward party, it must be a relief to have this one done. That is the most interesting incision I have ever seen. It follows the first surgery and you wouldn't even know it, would you? Baby Gav is in our prayers, and so are you. I am hoping next year will be a better year for you all.

The Kirkmans said...

Hey Heidi, I'm glad gavin made it through okay, hopefully he will recover well, and not have to have anymore surgeries. I tagged you on my blog so take a look

Angela said...

What a superstar!