Sunday, October 23, 2011

We don't drink coffee!



I had to add one quick memory from our California trip. On one evening we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We instantly felt a little under dressed when we got there because we were in jeans and t-shirts while everyone around us was in suits and ties. We sat outside so that we could see the ocean and we had a heater nearby. The waitress came up to our table and the first thing she asked us was if we wanted coffee because it was a chilly night and she said she knew it would warm us up. We told her no thank you and Gavyn looked up at her and said, "We don't drink coffee!" The waitress looked a little confused and walked away. About 1 minute later she returned and offered us coffee again saying it was so cold out and she didn't want us to be miserable and Gavyn again looked at her and stated, "We don't drink coffee!" Again, the waitress looked a little puzzled at him and walked away. Within about five minutes the waitress came to our table a third time and asked us if we would please have some coffee to help us get warmed up. Again, we declined and Gavyn looked at her and loudly stated, "I said, we don't drink coffee!" The waitress giggled and said, "Oh, he is so cute. Where does he get that from. He must watch a lot of TV." This time, Gavyn stood up on his chair and looked at her at eye level and said in an even louder voice, "No, I did not get it from TV. My mom and dad told me that Heavenly Father does not want us to drink coffee so that is why we don't drink coffee!" The waitress just looked at him in shock and Gavyn continued with.."and we should not smoke either!" Then, he sat back down in his set and started coloring again. The waitress looked at me and asked me if I had really told him this and I told her I had. Then, she smiled and walked away. Every single person at the tables surrounding us watched as Gavyn stood up on his chair and made his statement. When we left the restaurant, we told Gavyn that we were proud of him and he said, "Mom, I am just getting ready for when I go on my mission." I sure do love this little boy!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I totally got tears in my eyes as I read this, Heidi. You are wonderful parents!!

Brenda said...

That is such a cute story! What a wonderful little boy to stand up for what his believes!