Thursday, January 22, 2009

Its been a bad/good week

Life is hard. I have found that it is helpful to always look for the good in every situation. Here's my stressor of the week.

I have had a lot of chest pressure and trouble breathing because of it. I have also had rib pain for no obvious reason. Curtis finally made me go in to the doctor on Teusday because he was getting nervous from the fact I really was having a hard time breathing. So, Teusday I go into the doctor's office and describe all of my symptoms. The doctor tells me they are ordered a bunch of tests and that they think I might have a blood clot in my lungs.

An hour of tests are done and I am left in the room for two hours waiting for the results. The doctor comes in and informs me that they think I am having an MI, but they want a second opinion. Another doctor comes in and tells me I am going to the hospital do I want the ambulance or is there someone there to drive me. They also inform me that they think I am having some anxiety (ya think!!). So, my mom stayed with the boys so Curtis could come be with me.

I get to the hospital and am sent to the ICU (which I am later told was for over flow reasons, not urgency - good to know!) and hooked up to heart monitors and given IV's. They start having me take nitroglycerin pills and are continually drawing blood for tests. I was given the option of having aspirin or morphine (nothing inbetween???) and graciously accepted an aspirin. I spent the night in the hospital and the next morning the doctor came back in to tell me that the chances it was a heart attack were minimal because the tests were showing no damage to my heart (whew).

They tell me they think I have costochondritis which is inflammation around my sternum and ribs. It's painful and it mimics heart attacks. They give me anti-inflammatories for ten days to help start the healing process and I am told I will feel better in about four weeks and it should take about six months to totally heal. Apparently this is something that can happen in women ages 20-40 and there really is no known definite cause for it. The doctor also ordered a nuclear stress test for next week just to be sure there is nothing bad going on with my heart.

So now I am home trying to take it easy and let my body just heal. My chest and ribs hurt like crazy, but at least the medicine is making it so I can breath easier. So here is the breakdown:

BAD:
1. I was told I might have a clot in my lungs.
2. I got to sit around for three hours pondering that.
3. I was then told I was having a heart attack.
4. Having to stay in the hospital overnight.
5. Being poked about 10 times - I hate needles!

GOOD:
1. It wasn't a clot.
2. I didn't have a heart attack.
3. I came home to a spotless house because my mom handles stress by cleaning, THANKS MOM!
4. My boys and my husband have been so sweet and are trying so hard to take care of me.
5. My brother showed up tonight with some flowers. THANKS JASON and KIM!
6. My siblings have all been calling and checking up on me and we have gotten to chat for a while. THANKS JEN, DESI, TYLER, ASHLEY, and JAMIE!
7. My neighbor brought us dinner and some of the best cookies I have ever eaten. THANKS AMY and AMANDA!
8. I am now at home sleeping in my own comfy bed.

It is amazing how a bad week can turn into such a good one.

10 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Holy cow! I hope every test you have turns out well.
Love ya!

Shelby said...

I know what it's like to be in the hospital for heart problems--definitely not fun! I hope things go well for you.

Teresa said...

Does is ever end?? It is very scary. I have had 2 clots before and it is so painful. I feel bad that you have to experience anything even like that. Let me know if you need anything!

Kim said...

Oh my heck Heidi! That is so crazy and scary! I am so sorry! You are such a trooper! Hang in there!

The Kirkmans said...

I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm glad you're on the healing road, try to take it easy, and make sure those around you continue to treat you like a queen!

Jocelyn said...

First of all, I love your positive, yet realistic attitude.

I would be so nervous if I had to think about a clot in my lungs (super scary!!!) or a heart attack (yikes!) at our age. That's really nerve-wracking. I am really glad to hear you're experiencing something less life-threatening. I hope the aspirin is helpful to you and that your drug therapy solves the problem.

There is just nothing better than a clean house that you didn't clean, is there? I love the smell.

Love and prayers to you.

Corey Ward said...

Oh my heck Heidi! I'm sorry you are going through all of that. I hope you get feeling better. Take care!

jennycooks said...

Heidi, oh me, oh my. Seriously, when does it end? I have asked myself that question many times this year. And for the record, if you ever DON'T have a positive attitude about it, that is totaly okay too. Because we are all only so tough. I hope these burdens get lightened, and soon. I hope you know you can call for anything. Love ya girl!

Katie said...

I always love to see what is going on with you guys. What a tough women you are. I'm glad things kinds worked out. Call me if you need a break with the kids. I'm always here.

Joyce said...

Wow! I feel so bad that I didn't know any of this was going on with you. I'm glad you're home and doing a little better.

Thanks for making me feel better about being 41.